This month’s article is a flashback to May 8, 2009 to our son’s fist visit with the Orthopedic specialist. We knew that the “wait and see” approach was not a good approach, and we were ready to go to battle. You can see the article in its entirety HERE. The main focus was how we advocated for our son early on in his Scoliosis battle:
We went this morning to the pediatric orthopedic surgeon for my daughter’s checkup and my son’s first visit. He has a mild case (which we knew), and “C” is holding at a 55degree curve. It’s a scary level, but they are still not recommending surgery, so we hold onto hope.
“V”: The first thing she said was bile to our ears – “Let’s wait and see 6 months.” As I’ve outlined before, we were given this advice once and it was the worst advice we ever took, and we were not taking it this time. My husband was able to immediately vocalize what my nerves were slowing my brain down too much to process- that the wait and see game wasn’t going to work for us. Our chiropractor, who uses a cutting edge type of therapy to combat curves (I’ll post more about that later) called the Pettibon technique (update: this is now ScoliSmart), said we needed a clear MRI for “V” before he’d start his therapy. He didn’t want to “monkey” around with him until we knew there were no cysts or tumors. Well, our surgeon was determined to wait a while on the MRI, and she is pretty certain there is not a cyst because there wasn’t on his older sister, but I like proof, thank you very much. So, June 5th, he and I head down to Mott Children’s hospital in Ann Arbor for his knock-out MRI (bring on the laughing gas!), to see where we stand. We have our fists up to fight this curve as soon as we can. We are no longer settled to wait for traditional, mainstream cures. Our orthopedic surgeon is great, and she understoond our apprehension, and was in agreement.