I know I had mentioned last week that I had planned on starting back to blogging about research and article reviews on Scoliosis. I had also made many other plans in my personal and professional life. However, as most of you know, the best laid plans have a way of getting sidelined.
Today was our checkup with the Orthopedic Surgeon. Today, all of our plans changed. We were slated to have surgery on March 17th, with a straightforward thoracic fusion. Today we learned that in 4 months, our daughter’s curve has plummeted from a nasty 72 degrees to a pretty devastating 88 degrees. She must be hitting that infamous growth spurt with a fury. Not only that, but we found out that the cause of a mysterious pain in her rib hump area is actually due to some slightly fractured ribs. Possibly, her curve progressed quickly and her brace was pushing inward and contributed to fracturing those ribs. Nobody knows for sure. But, what we do know for sure is that all our plans are now going to change. And, now the surgery is going to be more complex, longer, and potentially not as effective as when she was at 72 degrees.
We wanted to give her as much time to grow as possible, while fusing her spine before she hit her final growth spurt. Well, I guess we misjudged our window on that one! We wanted to have a great family vacation over Christmas break, a “last hurrah” of sorts before surgery, and we are going to have to postpone that. We wanted to wait until our daughter finished her short Middle School basketball season before she was laid up for a month or more, a sport she’s been working on all year. But, now we are looking at even having to cut that short. So, I guess we just keep on trucking.
Our original plan was to have our checkups today, head out tomorrow for Fairfax, VA to get new braces made, then wait until March 17th for surgery. Now, we are faced with fractured ribs, the question of “do we wear the brace now or not” as we prepare to move the surgery date WAY forward.
So, my husband suggested that, since I already arranged to have the kids out of school, that I go ahead and just take them somewhere fun for a few days, so that our daughter can get used to the idea of so many disappointments in a row. So, we are heading out with my sister to an indoor water park for a few days, and, while I am gone, I will get the new surgery date scheduled. So, when we get back, we will be ready to tackle whatever is in our path.
My daughter is a total champ. “Let’s just get it DONE,” She said to me tonight. “And, then I’ll be totally ready to go next basketball season.” She also laughed when she found out her ribs were fractured (“Well, that explains it!”) So, I will be following her lead as we head forward, as she has already developed this remarkable sense of confidence and is blessed with a great attitude. She continues to inspire her Mom with her strength and courage.
So, I may not be blogging as much – this is going to be a time of great chaos in our house, as I attempt to make all the pieces fit together for us in the next month or so. I may blog and just give a short synopsis of what is going on with us. My main concern, of course, is getting my daughter to this and through this. Thanks, everyone, for your support.